WHAT IS LIONSBRIDGE FC?
Lionsbridge FC is a new Premier Development League soccer team, the top amateur men’s soccer league in North America. We play home games at POMOCO Stadium at CNU from May through July. Although most of the players will be from Hampton Roads, some are from out of the area and will need a place to stay while playing on our team.
WHO ARE THE PLAYERS?
The players who will need host families are young men between 18-23 years old and many of them are currently college soccer players somewhere in the United States who are on their summer break. They will play for Lionsbridge FC to gain visibility to professional soccer scouts.
Players competing in the PDL (and our team) have a great chance to become pro soccer players within 1-2 years. They have worked very hard to get to this point. They are focused, determined and motivated. Playing for Lionsbridge FC is one step in their journey toward professional soccer.
WHEN WILL THEY ARRIVE AND LEAVE?
The 2018 Lionsbridge FC season begins on May 5 and runs through July 14, with the playoffs following (if applicable). The season cannot last longer than August 5. The players begin arriving on May 1 in preparation for their busy season (approximately 16 games and 20 practices in just 11 weeks). It is possible players may depart before the season is over for one reason or another – injury, soccer reasons, return to campus for classes, college team requirements, etc.
All host families and players will attend a Host Family Orientation Meeting in early May (date TBD) with Lionsbridge FC staff and the head coach to clearly define expectations around the host family experience.
WHAT DO I NEED TO PROVIDE THE PLAYERS?
- Their own private air-conditioned bedroom (window unit is ok), towels, linens, access to laundry (they do their own), bathroom (can be shared), space in the fridge and a place to come home to every day
- A spare key
- Treat them like an extension of your family. For example, if you are having a family activity, it would be appropriate to invite them to be part of it (e.g. family dinner at home or restaurant).
- Respect for the player’s privacy
- Your reasonable and clearly defined house rules
- An open home and open hearts
WHAT DON’T I NEED TO PROVIDE?
- Transportation – players are responsible for their own.
- Food/meals – the team will provide post-game meals (home and away) and pre-game meals (away). It is not required that you cook or provide food for the players, although you should provide them access to your kitchen and fridge for them to do their own cooking and/or food storage.
- Money. It is not appropriate to provide the players with cash. Doing so may jeopardize the player’s amateur status with their colleges.
- “Housekeeping.” It is expected that players will clean up after themselves and always maintain respect for family’s home and property.
FOR MORE INFORMATION:
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more.